Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I'm In Hot Dish Heaven !!!

Well, being a Minnesota native and having moved to Florida 20 years ago, I seldom get an opportunity - or the craving for - cold weather comfort foods.

Florida, like other states, has had a very cold winter so far. Yes, it is all relative I know, but being a MN native, it is clear to me that my notion of "cold" has been altered by 20 yrs of unbearably hot, humid weather most of the time. So, any time the temp dips below 68, it's COLD here!

That being said, I also I seldom cook these days and mostly don't make any kind of native Minnesota "hot dish" around here since the natives in FL would likely snub this peasant food as somewhat boorish and/or boring. Of course the weather in Southern Florida really doesn't warrant much cuisine in that department since it is really tropical most of the time..... So, it has been 25+ years since I made a fabulous mouth-watering dish called Alpine Casserole. However, being that we've had a bit of a cold run here since early Jan and I thought it timely to dust off some cold weather comfort food from a recipe box whose recipe cards are yellowed with age and neglect. Today I made a pan of Alpine Casserole - just for me! Pure unadulterated indulgence!!

I pulled it out of the oven around 3pm today...I was starving by then... I often get so involved in my work, I forget to eat until I'm ready to chew off my arm! I quickly gobbled down a plate of hot yummy stuff before a 3pm meeting and left the pan in the kitchen.

My business partners - both NY natives - showed up a few minutes later for the meeting. The smells of a home-cooked meal - rare in my household for many years - permeated the air. I knew one of my partners had not eaten either so I offered him a plate of fresh Minnesota "hot dish", fully expecting a polite nibble and a nod and that's all.

I am pleased to say, I personally had 3 big helpings and both of my partners had 3 helpings as well - even the one who just came from lunch! The whole pan is nearly gone and one of my partners even wanted to bring some home to his girlfriend. They were so "possessed" and drawn to the simple flavors of a standard Minnesota "hot dish" (aka casserole) they could not stop eating it or going back to the kitchen for just a little bit more!!

Little did I expect this to be such a HIT....after all these years !! I loved it but I must give thanks, recognition and appreciation to one of my dearest friends, Robin, from whom I got this recipe so very many years ago! She was a chef extraordinaire and this was one of her California accommodations to the Minnesota natives - after moving there - that is, learning to make an extraordinary "hot dish" you can't stop eating! Thanks Robinsky !!! Sadly, my friend Robin, succumbed to illness a few months ago. We all miss her terribly - but I truly learned so much from her so many years ago and this little dish just reminded me of what a graceful spirit she brought to everything she touched.

This one's for you, my dear Robin!

Ohhhhh.....I'm soooo WITH you right now....in hot dish heaven !! Can you see me? I have food all over my face.

Love to you. You made my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment